Monday 28 September 2015

Wedding Bells

Okay so here it goes. My wedding blog finally. To be honest I have no idea what to write because I was not exactly keen for my wedding day. I was excited for the life after maybe, and definitely for the trip planned but not the wedding day itself. If anything I just wanted to get over with it quickly. So don’t expect this blog to be all colourful or filmy or whatever.

Let’s start with the wedding dresses. ‘Dresses’ and not ‘dress’ because it was a week-long affair. I decided to go for a black wedding dress because, you know, black! After a lot of disapproval from my mom and aunts about a black wedding dress I showed them a picture of an online brilliant black and gold Indian wedding gown and they liked it! Finally for my seven days of wedding functions we bought a sky blue gown, a red lehenga, an off-white gown, another sky blue gown, a golden gown and the black gown (plus a pink sari was gifted to me by my mother-in-law). I was super excited for my black gown but it did not make it to the judges' final list of main functions' dresses. It was chosen for a function which was to happen after a month. Why do people around the world choose white for weddings and black for funerals? Clothes have feelings too, you know. Stop racism against them! In India white is for funerals and red or other bright colours for weddings. Even my off-white gown needed a lot of convincing to gain the judges' approval. And that too they wanted to ‘beautify’ it with tons of gold which I absolutely did not allow that day against all protocols. I went for minimal non-gold gem and stone jewelleries. And it was the most beautiful of all wedding dresses (^_^). Anyhow I am not super pissed about other clothes because, like I said, I didn’t care so much about the wedding. If I was given my way, the wedding would have had a super small guest list, no-jewellery-allowed rule, the groom (or a prince) on a black horse and me on a wedding dais next to a beach. :3

Or maybe just a courtroom wedding. Bleh.

As for the wedding week, it was not as bad as I expected. The first day was pretty bad though. The lehenga skirt, top and dupatta were each so heavy even though they didn’t look that heavy. Plus a ton of gold and heavy makeup. I sat through the function with a bad back ache and neck pain. But rest of the days were smooth (though boring obviously). I was constantly told to walk and move around slowly and gracefully. I don't do slow and graceful, people! I smiled at the cameras, sat pretty, greeted everyone pretending to know them but honestly having no idea who they are. Why did everybody look similar and have similar names/nicknames that day? I did good but wasn't slow or graceful enough. I didn't trip over even once which is an achievement. I did enjoy the 2-3 hour makeup ritual before every function. I felt like such a diva (hi-hi).

For my wedding, I invited about 10 close friends of which 3 were able to make it. THREE GUY FRIENDS. Which is a big deal for a girl to have when you live in my 100%-purely-sexist community. But I didn’t care because I was meeting them after two years and seeing them was the best part of my whole wedding. Rest of my asshole friends who have shitty colleges and internships with shitty attendance issues met me when I visited Mumbai on our trip. Whheeeeeee.

One good part about the whole wedding was I received a lot of chocolates (which my mom said is to be distributed among the whole of extended family but I did manage to smuggle up four boxes, yay!) and gold. Now I won’t be using gold in spite of what everyone asks me to do but it does mean a lot of assets for me :D. I already have my eyes on the next gaming laptop (MSI Titan ooooh boy!) and the Oculus Rift.

I haven’t really said much stuff along the lines of 'marriage is a union of two souls for life’ and other such blah-blah-blah’s because I don't speak that language. This was just a post about the wedding ceremony. Stuff on married life to be posted when I finally begin to start living it. :)

P..S: Thank god we don't live in Game of Thrones.

2 comments: